DOH-Palm Beach Promotes Healthy Eating for National Nutrition Month
March 01, 2021
Palm Beach County, FL— The Florida Department of Health in Palm Beach County (DOH-Palm Beach) celebrates March as National Nutrition Month. Created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, NNM encourages the nation to focus on nutrition and physical activity. This year’s theme is "Personalize Your Plate”, designed to help individuals create nutritious meals based on their culture, environment, medical condition, and personal preferences. In today’s digital first world, obtaining food locally and from around the world is easier than ever. With food choices expanding and an increased accessibility, Registered Dietitian Nutrition (RDN) can help you personalize your plate with meals that meet your needs.
"We always encourage all of our residents to eat healthy, nutritious foods.” says Dr. Alina Alonso, Director of DOH-Palm Beach. “This is truly one of the best gateways to everyone’s good health." Some suggestions to help Personalize Your Plate are as follows:
- Learn about healthy eating at www.ChooseMyPlate.gov.
- Decide on a food group and select one food item you would like to try.
- Start with a simple recipe for that food. Click and explore MyPlate.
- Now personalize it with your favorite spices, mix it with other food group to improve on a nutrient or alter it to manage your cultural or medical needs.
- Enjoy a meal that meet your cultural needs, preferences, and taste.
- Visit your local stores and markets to know what is available in your area and environment.
- Speak to your doctor about your health.
Consult the nutrition experts. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can provide sound, easy-to-follow, personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences, and health-related needs. Contact the DOH-Palm Beach appointment center at (561) 625-5180 or 1-855-GET-APPT for a clinic nutrition appointment. Contact the Women Infant Children program appointment center at (877)693-6703 for a WIC appointment.
Here are a few other resources to help “Personalize Your Plate:“
- www.eatright.org - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- www.healthiestweightflorida.com. – A public-private collaboration to help Florida's children and adults make consistent, informed choices about healthy eating and active living.
- www.FloridaWIC.org - A federally funded nutrition program for Women, Infants, and Children that provides healthy foods, nutrition education and counseling, breastfeeding support, and referrals for health care and community services.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts. Follow us on Twitter at @HealthyFla and on Facebook. For more information about the Florida Department of Health please visit www.FloridaHealth.gov.