Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content

Florida Department of Health in Palm Beach County Celebrates National Public Health Week

By Communications Office

April 01, 2019

West Palm Beach, Fla. — This week, April 1 – 7, the Florida Department of Health in Palm Beach County is acknowledging National Public Health Week (NPHW). NPHW presents an opportunity for communities across the United States to reflect on the contributions of public health and highlight issues that are important to improving our health.

Public health professionals across Palm Beach County make it their life’s work to help keep people and communities healthy- from better maternal and child health to improvements in disease control and prevention to addressing environmental concerns and emergency preparedness.

“We are dedicated to improving health in the places where you live, learn, work, worship, and play,” say DOH-Palm Beach Director Dr. Alina Alonso. “We are working every day in the areas that are important to improve our health in behavioral health, infectious disease, environmental health, school health, injury and violence prevention, and access to quality and equitable health.”

“We are in the midst of a profound shift in understanding and better addressing what determines our health,” says Patrick McNamara, President and CEO of the Palm Health Foundation. “As important as high-quality clinical care is, it is responsible for only 10% of positive health outcomes. Environmental, social, genetic, and behavioral aspects of our lives are responsible for the remaining 90%. Palm Health Foundation has been actively working in collaboration with partners and county residents to cultivate local solutions for better health through our Healthier Together Initiative.”

“Health equity is not just about health, and it is more than a moral or ethical concern, it is a cross-cutting issue that has far-reaching impacts,” says Andrea Stephenson Royster, CEO and Executive Director of Health Council of Southeast Florida. “If we are serious about the health of our residents here in the area, we must continue to embrace effective strategies to address the very real health inequities.”

In Palm Beach County, the Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) is designed to address specific opportunities for improved health that have been identified by the community. The department has partnered with many stakeholders to implement the CHIP and collaborates regularly to track progress.

One area where DOH-Palm Beach is especially proud is the reduction of the black infant morality rate to 6.0 deaths per 1000 births, which achieves the Health People 2020 goal.

In April 2019 DOH-Palm Beach is also proud to support National STD Awareness Month and National Infant Immunization Week, both of which are featured in the Spring 2019 Issue of The Pulse, a quarterly magazine published exclusively by DOH-Palm Beach.

About the Florida Department of Health

The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @HealthyFla. For more information about the Florida Department of Health, please visit